Our Environment and Us
Be nice! We Live for Climate Protection
Be nice! This credo determines all of our business activities. Environmental and climate protection play an essential role, because we try to use resources responsibly. As a company, we want to actively shape the future and promote sustainable development.
The emissions we cause are an important indicator of ecological economy. We have been performing as climate neutral since 2018 and are proud to have achieved this goal. Of course, we are working on continuously improving ourselves and taking further measures.
Role Model Effect in Calculation and Compensation
Ecologically sensible and climate-friendly economic activity is really important to us. For this reason, we want to set a good example and really record all emissions that we cause and, where it is possible for us, to collect data. This includes all emissions directly (company buildings, company vehicles) and, as far as possible, all indirectly caused emissions (e.g. journeys by employees, business trips, waste, etc.).
Carbon Footprint 2020
In 2020 the carbon footprint of the niceshops group of companies was 1005 t CO2 equivalent (calculated according to the Greenhouse Gas Protocol). The recorded emissions are divided into three areas (scopes):
In 2020, Scope 1 will account for around 30% of the emissions we cause, around 10% for Scope 2 and the remaining 60% for Scope 3.
The 1005 t CO2 equivalent are roughly the same amount of greenhouse gases as 113 people living in Austria cause in the same period. The per capita emissions in Austria amount to an average of 8.9 t CO2 equivalent annually.
What we're particularly pleased about is the fact that we were able to decouple greenhouse gas emissions from sales growth. In 2019, with a turnover of 55.5 million euros, we had greenhouse gas emissions of 852 t CO2 equivalent, i.e. 15.35 tCO2 per million turnover. In 2020 the turnover was 101 million euros, which corresponds to around 10 tCO2 / million turnover with emissions of 1005 t CO2 equivalent. The greenhouse gas emissions per million sales have thus been reduced by a good third.
Our 3 Pillars for Climate Neutrality
Our climate strategy is based on the three pillars of avoidance, reduction and compensation.
This is the best way to prevent greenhouse gases from occurring in the first place. Where emissions cannot be avoided, we look for ways to curb them. What we cannot avoid at all, we compensate with meaningful projects.
Previous Successes of our Measures
Although the sales of the niceshops group almost doubled in 2020 and the parcel volume has multiplied, we were able to achieve great success with the use of packaging materials. The use of plastic film decreased by more than 62% (compared to 2019). Environmentally friendly, compostable, plastic-free shipping materials are currently used for all parcels - with very few exceptions. Only in a few cases, such as bulky goods and pallet shipping, is there an alternative to recyclable plastic film.
In addition, thanks to a special patent for shipping and returns, the innovative parcels from niceshops can be reused without any adhesive tape - a solution that was awarded the Austrian State Prize for the Packaging Industry.
Our other climate protection measures include:
- The use 100% green electricity
- An e-car fleet that is constantly being expanded, saving CO2
- The establishment of the largest e-car charging park in Austria at the main location in Saaz
- Public transport job ticket and car pool organisation
- Installation of a photovoltaic system on the roof of the hall, which in 2020 covered an average of 30% of the company's own energy requirements at the main location in Saaz and produced green electricity in the amount of 11.4 t CO2 equivalent, which was fed into the grid
- Sustainable construction of the company building with high energy efficiency and a lot of wood
- Heating and cooling through the waste heat from the neighboring biogas plant
- Conscientious recycling of waste and valuable materials
- Regional and largely organic food in the canteen
- Founding of the working group for eco-social responsibility and the Mobi task force, which is working on ways to make the employees' commutes more climate-friendly (e.g. through carpooling, subsidised e-bikes and more)
Compensation with Helioz
We take the emissions that we cannot avoid as an opportunity to support other eco-social projects that we consider sensible and that make a significant contribution to global emissions reduction in the long term. This year it is a special pleasure for us to support the Helioz project in Bangladesh.
In many areas of Bangladesh, surface water is the main source of water (alongside rainwater). Because this is often contaminated, it must first be boiled, which requires firewood and has several negative effects:
- CO2 is emitted when it is boiled
- Women, in particular, have to spend a lot of time collecting firewood
- Many people, especially children, have respiratory problems due to the constant smoke in their homes
With WADI, Helioz has developed a cost-effective, solar-powered device with which contaminated drinking water can be safely sterilised by sunlight.
Thanks to WADI, water-borne diseases such as cholera or polio can be avoided. In addition, with the project in Bangladesh and other countries, Helioz is making an important contribution to achieving the UN's Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
We have, of course, planned further activities to protect our climate in the future.