10% Off your order! Voucher code: JUNEDEAL-19 Find out more
Breakfast - The Ayurvedic Way
There are several ways to enjoy a satisfying breakfast. To ensure that the most important meal does not impact the digestion process in a negative way, we have listed a few Ayurvedic tips to follow. There are several ways to enjoy a satisfying breakfast. To ensure that the most important meal does not impact the digestion process in a negative way, we have listed a few Ayurvedic tips to follow.
We all know the feeling when facing a glorious breakfast buffet set up at the hotel you are staying boasting an array of food, and it is difficult to say no, which leads to a bit of nibbling here and there.
In the end, it does not seem like one consumed too much. This overindulgence has its price: fatigue throughout the day, lack of energy and most probably heartburn too.
It goes without saying that the hotel example is not what happens on an everyday basis. Breakfast are not all alike and depends on factors such as culture, environment and traditions. However, even though we are all different in these aspects, many of us continue to suffer from tiredness and fatigue afterwards.
When looking at the Ayurvedic approach, it soon becomes clear that fatigue and tiredness are a result of consuming the incorrect types of food. Kapha is predominant during the morning: we feel sluggish, cold, heavy and are in need of something sweet.
To avoid carrying this feeling around with us all day, Ayurveda has a few tips for us:
There are many types of food that paralyze our system for hours afterward. The energy trapped in those types of food are only slowly transported to the brain and one feels lethargic. Therefore, it is essential to avoid the consumption of raw fruit, muesli and the like.
(Note: Fruits should always be consumed on their own, to ensure that they are better digested).
Characteristics of an Ayurvedic breakfast
Ayurvedic breakfasts are composed of light, warm and a small portion size. ( The main meal is enjoyed at midday). In the western world, breakfast rarely have these characteristics. Most of the time, breakfast lies heavily on the stomach. This can lead to problems, since Agni, the digestive fire, is still very weak during the morning. We need to be cautious not to extinguish the flame unnecessarily with our choice of breakfast.
- Clean teeth and tongue before having breakfast.
- Drink a glass of hot water or water infused with ginger. This stimulates the digestive fire.
- Prepare a warm porridge should, preferably with fruits steamed in ghee (this takes away the acidity found in fruits), nuts and honey.
- For those who have a dominant Pitta, it is advised to enjoy a toast with a plant spread or coconut oil.
- Important to note: Ask yourself if you are indeed hungry. If not, a glass of warm water is sufficient. Never force yourself to have breakfast.
- If you love variety, stir up some scrambled eggs with vegetables and fresh herbs.
Lastly, it is important to realise that we are individuals and need to experiment with various breakfast treats. It helps to keep a food/breakfast journal to have a general overview of the types of breakfast you had and how the body reacted.
- 100% natural
- With herbs, fruits & spices
- Combines 5 flavours
Currently unavailable5.0 (4)Bestseller
- 10 ml, 100 ml
£3.60 - £11.10
- For soft and elastic skin
- Certified by BDIH
- 100% vegan
In stock5.0 (1)
- 100 ml
- Ideal when suffering from hair loss
- Soothes & relaxes the scalp
- Restores strength
In stock4.9 (9)
- Split and peeled
- Nutritious, plant protein source
- For „Kitchari“
In stock5.0 (3)Bestseller
Ayurveda 101 UK Shopping Highlights
Free Delivery to United Kingdom from £42.90
Secure Payment using SSL Encryption Technology